Keep the discussion going--join our JobWatch Group on LinkedIn!
Research Associate / Research Scientist
- Clinical Operations
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. is seeking an outstanding Cellular Biologist to join our drug discovery team in Boston, MA. This position will focus on applying and developing cell biology techniques to support discovery and development of both small-molecule and genetic-based therapies. The successful candidate should have extensive experience in developing disease-relevant human cell based assays and studying drug action at the cellular level using advanced cell engineering and cell biological techniques. Our team is dedicated to discovering new therapeutic agents for treating serious genetic diseases such as cystic fibrosis and polycystic kidney disease. The candidate will be part of a cross-functional team within the department of Human Biology and also collaborate across sites with our San Diego and UK research centers. It is essential for the candidate to work independently with a minimum of supervision and in accordance to the facility’s Standards Operations Procedures and protocols, and demonstrate a proven track record of (1) Scientific and technical excellence and (2) Organizational team skills.
- Generate and characterize genetically modified cell lines (by gene editing or gene overexpression)
- Establish primary cells from diseased tissue to replicate the human pathophysiology of disease in an in vitro setting. Optimize primary cells for assay by culturing organoids/3D cellular systems to better recapitulate a tissue environment.
- Execute a wide array of technical methods including molecular biology and cell culture: PCR, cloning, cell sorting, expression analysis by real time PCR, western blot or FACS
- Establish procedures for each assay and be responsible for calculating and presenting data and reporting data and procedures in electronic lab book
- Critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results to a variety of audiences
- Contribute effectively to the projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned
- Master Degree in Cell Biology, molecular biology, biotechnology or biochemistry
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in drug discovery in a pharmaceutical/ biotechnology setting or in a contract research organizations (CROs)
- Strong analytical capabilities required with understanding of early drug discovery to pre-clinical stage needs
- An industry experience, an asset
- Some years of practical laboratory experience in the following areas: good theoretical and practical knowledge of molecular biology techniques, cell culture of eukaryotic cells, variety of multiple biochemical assay platforms Western blot, ELISA, data analysis strong Knowledge of command of data analysis and reporting (assay variability assessment etc.) is highly desirable
- Culturing of 3D organoids or cells is a definite asset
- Demonstrated computer skills with DNA sequence analysis
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Research Associate Jobs
- View more Clinical Operations Jobs
- View more Vertex Pharmaceuticals Jobs